Sunday, March 25, 2007

What we knew when we were 20

I have been rereading some of my favorite old novels. I am now enjoying again, after many years, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig. Remember that novel of the 60s? This novel, similar to Steppenwolf that I discussed in previous blogs, takes me back to a world of my younger days, a world of questions and wonder. I read these novels in the 70s. Thirty years later, I have the same reaction. Funny, but what we knew in our 20s was a surprising wisdom. Sure, we tend to be smarter as the years go on, but when it comes to knowing who we are and what is really important to us, we knew as much in our 20s as we do now. Is that true for you? I am amazed that it is so true for me. Not that it is a good or bad thing. It is just that we often let life take us away from who we are and what we always wanted. We need to take time to remember who we were and who we really are. Taking that time is difficult. For me, going back to the novels I read during that time reminded me of many of the thoughts of the time. I'm enjoying the journey back to those times in an attempt to remember some of the things I have since forgotten.

No comments: