Thursday, October 1, 2009

Are You a "None?"

The Hartford Courant, on September 29, 2009 (A1), reported on a study that showed 15%of U.S. adults were not part of any organized religion, up from 8% in 1990. While those numbers don’t surprise me, and I agree with their predictions that the numbers will continue to rise, I did find the article disturbing. There seemed to be an underlying negative statement concerning that 15%, who were described as the “American Nones,” as if those of us who do choose not to participate in any organized religion were somehow lesser than the majority. Half of these “Nones” believed in God, and some were atheists. I have no problem with anyone who chooses to be part of any organized Church. I just wish that there were more openness for those who do not. Perhaps this same lack of acceptance of any differing views is what is driving the higher number of “Nones.”

No comments: