Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Closer to a definition of Practical Spirituality

I am getting closer to a definition of Practical Spirituality - an attempt that has kept me occupied specifically in at least four other posts but in reality in most of my previous posts. I must admit that my greatest influence in even realizing the need for a definition is Ken Wilber in his Integral Spiritual, which I discussed in my March 12, 2007 post, I gave my reaction to his basic points of trying to incorporate Spirituality with other aspects of life and accepting its significant new role. I agree.

Now I want to use his argument on the necessity of having a definition of spirituality before attempting a serious discussion. Before reading his work, I just used the word as if we all knew what it meant. In reality, I didn't exactly know what it did mean. Webster's New World Dictionary's defines it as "of the spirit or the soul as distinguished from the body and the material matters." There are other definitions, but this one relates to the parameters I wish to discuss. Yes, when we discuss Spirituality, we are discussing things of the spirit or soul, not the body. These general words, however, point out the problem and need for clarification. What are those things? Let's look at Wilber's four possible definitions. He suggests Spirituality is one of the following:

1) the highest of any particular aspect of our lives, such as cognitive, emotional, or values;
2) a spiritual intelligence that is separate from intellect or emotions or any aspect of our
lives, but just as valuable as any other;
3) a peak experience, such as a meditative or religious experience;
4) a specific attitude that could be present at any time, such as love, wisdom, or compassion.

Like Wilber, I find the last definition too vague, although prevalent. It doesn't tell us anything and seems too much like the dictionary definition of relating to the soul or spirit. I agree that the other definitions are valid uses as I hear people discuss this topic.

For my discussion of Practical Spirituality, I find that the first definition works best. I want to discuss the highest aspect of our lives. The second definition seems to defeat the idea of integrating Spirituality into our lives. This second definition tends to separate Spirituality into its own category. I want my discussion related to everything, not a topic that exists in isolation.
The third definition is a valid one but not what related to what I am doing. I see this very specific event related to Spirituality but not encompassing its totality.

The highest aspect of our lives. That is getting me closer to a workable definition of the Spirituality part of my topic, "Practical Spirituality." Before completing my definition, or my attempt at a definition, however, there is at least one more step. I will discuss that in a later post.

No comments: